Why time is of the essence in fire damage?
Seeing your home or business burn down is one of the most devastating and heart-wrenching thing. The life and the remains need to be taken care of and restored with prompt action. The residues, pollutant, smoke, and soot need to be dealt with properly and timely so that they are not able to cause any further damage to your health or belongings. These tips will help you in timely dealing of the damage. Continue reading to know more about them.
- The smoke, soot, and other particles settle on the surface of the furniture and other places in your home. If not dealt with promptly, they can even cause a further damage to them.
- Make sure you clean them off properly and no residue is left on their surface.
- Restoration, corrosion control, and odour removal are extremely important factors, which needs to be taken care of after fire mitigation.
- Here are a few other things, which need to be dealt with after fire outbreak is handled.
- Corrosion Mitigation
- Emergency Pre-cleaning
- Ceiling and Wall cleaning
- Content Pack-out
- Content Cleaning
- Soot Removal
If you are planning to clean everything yourself, then here is a list of things you might need to do it:
- Odour Reduction Fogs – Odour reduction fogs help in removing the odour completely. You can easily find them in the market or an online store.
- Ozone Generators – These are quite expensive products to buy. They also help in dealing with bad odour.
- Activated Charcoal – Activated charcoal is a natural absorber of odour. It comes in black powder form and you need to sprinkle it around the room where you want to get rid of the odour.
- Odour Reducing Products – Other products and sprays like oil diffusers, Febreze, and incense can be used to for the same purpose.
- Baking Soda – Baking Soda is a natural absorber of odour. Take a few small bowls and add an appropriate quantity of baking soda to each one of them. Now, put a bowl in each of the room to get rid of the odour.
- White Vinegar – White Vinegar emits a very strong smell. You can use a spare cloth and dip it in this liquid. Using this cloth, you can wipe all types of surfaces to remove the smell of smoke. Furniture, ceilings, floors, and walls can also be wipes using this cloth.
Other pointers to keep in mind while cleaning the house:
- While you are dealing with the odour, open all the doors and windows of your home or business. This will ensure that proper ventilation takes place by helping to deal with the odour with ease.
- Apart from the odour, inhaling the fumes is also poisonous for your health and may lead to breathing problems if you stay in such a place for quite a time.
- One the smell is dealt with; you need to choose what all items and furniture are beyond repair. Select them and get them out of the home as soon as possible.
- Such items trap the chemicals and odour in them and make cleaning a tough task.
- Since you have opted for a self-cleanup rather than taking the help of a professional expert, you should plan it out clearly first.
- Divide the total work and surface among different members, rather than crazily doing it alone.
Here is everything you need to do to deal with fire damage. A timely action is the essence of it. So, gather a few buckets, warm water, detergent powder, mop, old rags, and any other stuff, which feel might be required for the cleanup and start with it. However, if you are unable to do it yourself, it would be best to take the help of a fire damage restoration expert.